Under-eye skin can present us with a unique set of challenges and concerns. And when it comes to practicing skincare for such a sensitive area, it's important to get all the facts from the experts first.
We sat down with Dr. Manasi Shirolkar, a board-certified dermatologist, to understand some tips, tricks, and FAQs about under-eye skin.
How is the under-eye skin different from the rest of the face?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: The skin under the eyes is thinner and more delicate compared to the rest of the face. It has fewer oil glands, collagen, and elastin fibers, making it prone to dryness, fine lines, and puffiness. Additionally, under-eye skin can show signs of fatigue and aging more quickly due to these factors.
What are some signs or symptoms that indicate a need for using under-eye creams or similar skincare products?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: Signs that may indicate the need for under-eye care include puffiness, dark circles, fine lines, and dryness. Lifestyle factors like inadequate sleep, stress, and excessive sun exposure can exacerbate these issues.
When is the right time to start thinking about using under-eye creams?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: It's never too early to start considering under-eye care. Prevention is key, so even in your twenties, you can benefit from hydrating and protecting this delicate area. However, the choice of products may vary depending on age and specific concerns. Typically younger individuals can just use their regular moisturiser and sunscreen. For more mature skin, you may need more targeted creams with actives like retinol, hyaluronic acid, vitamin K, caffeine, and vitamin C.
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar
What are a few other things you can do (apart from using a product) to care for your under-eye skin?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: Lifestyle plays a crucial role in under-eye skin health.
Maintain a balanced diet
- Stay hydrated
- Get adequate sleep
- Protect your eyes from UV rays with sunglasses.
- Do not rub your eyes too much
- Be mindful of any eye drops that can cause dryness or Irritation of the under-eye area
- Remove eye makeup carefully without vigorous rubbing
- Cool compresses can also help reduce puffiness
- Reduce eye strain caused by too much screen time
- And lastly, if you have sustained puffiness you can visit a dermatologist. You may need certain blood tests to find out the causes of fluid retention
What are the kinds of ingredients you should look for in an under-eye cream?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: Effective under-eye creams may contain ingredients like:
- Hyaluronic acid for hydration
- Peptides, retinol, vitamin C to stimulate collagen production
- Caffeine to reduce puffiness
Always choose products suited to your specific concerns.
What are some common myths and misconceptions about under-eye skin and skincare?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: It's important to tailor your skincare routine to your unique needs.
Common misconceptions include:
- Thinking that one product can address all under-eye concerns
- Excessive rubbing or tugging can improve the skin
- Trying to treat hollowness or sunken eyes with eye creams
What advice would you give someone who is just beginning to care for under-eye skin?
Dr. Manasi Shirolkar: Start with a gentle cleanser, sunscreen, and a basic under-eye cream. Gradually introduce specialized products if needed. Prioritize a healthy lifestyle to support your skincare efforts, and consult a dermatologist for personalized guidance.